Friday, October 1, 2010

Security

We had a great Bible study at church last night. One of our senior pastors came and spoke to our group on the what it means to be a disciple of Christ. He spoke on how we have to Leave All, Die to All, Endure All, Serve All and Receive All. He went through lots of Scripture and it was great to dive into the Word and read a bunch of verses. The reminder of what it takes to be a disciple of Christ is hard to listen to, convicting and left me wondering if I come even close. However, the talk made me think about how we don't have to be a disciple alone. The Lord walks with us through everything that He asks us to do. Being a disciple of Christ is not easy but the eternal rewards are fabulous.

The other thing that has been on my mind, especially today, is security. It kinda goes along with being a disciple because without being His disciple we have no security. I read the following quote today by Elisabeth Elliot:

"Where does your security lie? Is God your refuge, your hiding place, your stronghold, your shepherd, your counselor, your friend, your redeemer, your savior, your guide? If He is, you don't need to search any further for security."

Look at that list, what more do we need?! This also includes are eternal security. If we are His disciples, we have the security in knowing that we will forever be His, we cannot be snatch us out of His hand.

John 10:27-30 "My sheep (disciples) hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one."

That gives me great comfort. Living in the midst of all that goes on in this world, I know that God will never let me go. Everything may fall apart all around me, but I have the security in knowing that He will take care of me. We often turn to other things for security but as it is with everything else in this world, those other things will pass away. Our only hope is the security we have in Christ.

I have had a strange week. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it is because I've had to do a lot of digging in the Scriptures regarding some issues that have come up. (I have felt heavy in spirit.) I have done some pity partying, and I know it is just me being selfish and focusing on myself and not what God is calling me to do or be. Last night's talk was helpful because it reminded me that I'm not here on earth for me, but I'm here because God created me to give Him glory in everything I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment