Thursday, October 21, 2010

New York

Well, I am in New York for the week. I am having a great time, a little sleep deprived, but that's ok. We were delayed on the flight from Dallas to Chicago, due to a hydraulic leak, so we didn't get to the church until 1 am, eastern time. We actually got in earlier, but stopped at the Peter Pan Diner for some cheesecake, it was so good!  This is a picture of the church we are helping while we are here.


The women have done lots of cleaning and the guys have done lots of handyman jobs, like plumbing, black topping some of the parking lot, and mounting a T.V. Is it wrong to say I enjoy doing that deep cleaning, the kind that you actually notice when it is done? Well, I do.

Tuesday night we were able to go to Yankee Stadium and see a playoff game between the New York Yankees and the Texas Rangers.  I was going for the Rangers.  I don't really care about the Yankees, but when you are sitting in a section of all blue, white and gray, it is really hard not to get into the game and cheer for the Yankees.  I chose to just be quiet, I wanted to come home in one piece.  One guy showed up in a Boston Celtic sweatshirt and the whole section booed and I think he even left.   I love baseball and to be able to go to a playoff game at Yankee stadium was incredible. 

Bernie Williams (former center fielder) threw out the first pitch.
We are getting work done around here too, I just don't have many pictures of that!  Yesterday afternoon, we filled bags with water bottles and granola bars.  We added a flyer advertising their "Fall Festival".  This festival will take place after we leave and it will be for the community to get together and have food and games, etc.  This morning (5 am) we went to a train station and handed out the bags.  It was cold, but we got rid of all our bags and even though some people said no, I think the ones who did take us up on the offer were grateful.  They always seemed a bit surprised.


Farmingdale station girl group.

Today we are going to pass out just the flyers around the Farmingdale community.  I hope it warms up, but we do have a chance of rain so that could cause some issues.

Sidenote stories. We did eat at this deli downtown on the way to the game.  I don't think I have ever been yelled at by someone who is taking my order.  It wasn't mean yelling, but things like "next!" "roll or bagel" "mayo or mustard", but it is so fast and so loud that it is enough to un-nerve you and you forget what you actually want! Great bagel sandwich though!  Talked to someone in the Bronx for a second and he said, "You aren't from here", I said no, he asked where, I said Texas, and he looked at me and mentioned that I don't sound like it.  I told him I'm actually from the Midwest.  His response, "that's why you talk so slow".  Umm.....thanks....I think.  I love the thick NY accents around here, it takes a second for me to process sometimes, but it is still fun to be around.

Looking forward to next few days and what God has in store.  I pray that we are being a blessing to the people here and that we will accomplish everything that they need us to!  Thank you for praying for us on this mission!

Beth

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. We'll be praying. So . . . who won? Talk to you when you get back home. I love you.

    ReplyDelete