Friday, September 24, 2010

Sovereign

According to the online Webster's Dictionary the definition of the word sovereign is: "one that exercises supreme authority within a limited sphere." Just to clarify, God does not have a limited sphere, He controls everything in the universe. For as long as I can remember, I have been taught that God is sovereign. He is the supreme authority. I can still say that after what I have been through in my life. I even feel more strongly about God's sovereignty because of my "trials".

One of the things that I do when I think about doctrine.....yes, that word again......is follow it through, taking an argument to the end. If God is not sovereign in everything, that would mean something or someone else "exercises supreme authority". So, if that is the case, we or something else, can take over for God. We could also say that something that we did or didn't do could affect what God's will is for our lives. That puts us in charge again. (See previous post)

I believe that God is sovereign. It is a little tricky when you think about it. Why are we here then, are we just robots, what can we do because God is going to do whatever He wants anyway? God knew what was going to happen in each of our lives from the beginning of time. Do you think that He is surprised by anything? No. He doesn't all the sudden go, "I didn't see that coming, I have to change my plans". No, He knows everything. We as humans do make decisions, but God knew what those decisions were before He created anything. He knows every thought that we have. Psalm 139:2 There are no surprises, He allows us make those decisions but really, He knew we were going to make them anyway, so His plan is still what ultimately happens. Like I said in the previous paragraph, if He isn't completely sovereign, the supreme authority, He wouldn't be God.

I can say with completely confidence that God is in charge of everything. He is directing my steps, Proverbs 20:24 A man's steps are directed by the LORD. How then can anyone understand his own way? I don't understand the path He has me going down, but is there anyone else that I would want in charge of my life? Not in a million years.

No comments:

Post a Comment