Monday, April 12, 2010

Labels

Continuation of the previous post....

One of the other things that I thought of at the conference this past weekend...we put labels on people. Some of the people at this conference had been labeled at one point in their lives. I'm labeled. Although I don't mind the term "widow", (I know that some women have an aversion to that title), it is technically what I am, but it doesn't define me. I remember telling my mom that I did not want people to look at me with sad eyes or treat me any differently than they had before. I was still Beth, could just cry more easily than I had before, if that was possible! :) Thankfully, I don't notice people treating me differently anymore, and I don't think of myself as a widow very often either. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very much aware of the title, it just doesn't hit me as hard when I think about what that means. Sorry, took a rabbit trail there, back to labels. I know that when I see a person who has a "label", i.e. another widow, that label is something that I think of when I see them. I'm sure most of us do that. Why are the "bad" labels the first things that we think of? I don't want to be defined as a widow, a redhead, a staff member at Stonegate, a nice person, mean person, etc. I want to be defined as a child of God, a Godly woman, a follower of Christ. Why don't we label people that way? I will admit, those aren't the first labels that come to my mind about people. It makes me go back to the previous post about seeing people through God's eyes, loving them like He loves them. God knows that we are sinners, but He still sees us as His children and thankfully, that is how He sees us!

Well, I going to do some of that living life this week. I'm taking a road trip, yes by myself. I'm looking forward to getting out of Midland for a couple of days. Pray that nothing goes wrong and that I have a great time!

I know there was more that I was planning on blogging, but I can't remember right now, until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment