Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Book

I just finished an interesting book, Plan B by Pete Wilson.  The subtitle of the book is 'What do you do when God doesn't show up the way you thought He would?'.  Of course, God does show up, but it isn't always the way that we would like Him to.  One of the parts that I had to stop and think was when the author talked about Jesus dying on the cross.  He mentioned how devastating it must have been for Jesus' followers to have their "dreams" of finally having a Redeemer, shattered.  I remember what it felt like for me when all of my dreams of spending the rest of my life with Jared crumbled.  Could you have imagined what it was like for them to watch as the Savior of the world was crucified before their eyes?  I can't even fathom.  Honestly, I am so glad that I am on the other side.  I didn't have to watch that, I know the story, and I didn't have to live through the three days of Him being dead, wondering what just happened.  God had a plan and it was to have His Son die for us.  Not an easy plan, He had to turn away from His own Son because He could not look upon our sins that Jesus took on Himself.  But it was the perfect plan.  So it is with us.  We may not think what we are going through is good and it can be downright awful, just because it isn't easy.  In reality, it is the best, because it came from God.  God will do whatever He wants to us and in His timing, if it will make us more like Him.  Here was a quote from Mark Batterson that the author used in the book:

I tend to live the way I drive.  I want to get from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time and by the easiest route possible.  But I've come to realize that getting where God wants me to go isn't nearly as important as becoming who God wants me to be in the process.  And God seems to be far less concerned with where I'm going than with who I'm becoming.  

How true that is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment