Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Matthew 8

I have started a couple of posts this past week, but none of them have been completed to actually publish.  Part of me wonders how long I will keep up this blog, it seems like I keep saying the same things over and over again.  I use this as my journal to remember later on where God had me.  Lately I have seemed stuck in learning about trust.  Actually, that seems to be the entire theme of this blog anyway.  I wonder when I will ever get it, or will I?

I am having to deal with this trusting issue again.  There are a couple of things going on in my life that have stopped me and made me think about if I really do trust God.  I want to fix, I want to make it all better, I want to control/manipulate a situation to fit what I want, because in my human mind, I know what is best for me.  Ha!  Really Beth, you think that you can handle things better than the God who created you in the first place!  It doesn't work that way.

I woke up this morning and grabbed my phone to read my devotional that gets emailed to me.  I also have the Bible download on my phone.  I went to the Bible application and the last passage that I had pulled up was Matthew 8.  I began to read, starting in Matthew 8:23-27:

Then He got into the boat and His disciples followed Him.  Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat.  But Jesus was sleeping.  The disciples went and woke Him saying, "Lord, save us!  We're going to drown!".  He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?".  Then He got up and rebuked the winds and waves, and it was completely calm.  The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and waves obey Him!."

Another verse that I read this morning from my desk calendar was 1 John 4:18:

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.

I make mistakes and sin all the time! I don't trust like I should, I have little faith.  The God who loves me has given me a way to not be fearful.  Perfect love casts out fear!  He calms the storms, His hand is all over this world and in my own life.  Why am I so afraid sometimes and forget to trust that He will work it out?  It is because I fail to remember that I serve a God that is beyond my comprehension.

No comments:

Post a Comment