Thursday, May 24, 2012

Identity

My mind has been going in all different directions in the past few weeks, trying to figure out what my purpose is in life.  Like I told you in my last post, I need to just wait on the Lord right now, but that doesn't stop my mind from still going.  I think I have finally narrowed down what I have been thinking through. The subject of identity.

All my life, I have had some kind of identity, or the job that identified me.  One of the first things people will ask when you meet them is "what do you do?".  I've been a child, a student, an assistant manager, a student again, a medical assistant, a widow, a ministry director and now a wife.  For most of those "identities", especially the job related ones,  I received training of some kind.  I was taught what to do and I did it.  There was no manual for the widow identity or now for the wife identity.  Yes, the Bible tells us some rules/guidelines to follow, but for the everyday life of being a wife there really isn't a training book.  Being a wife is now my only "job" and I'm still learning what that all means.  I'm trying figure out what that looks like for me, because everyone is different.  I can't just look at any wife, follow her example and do exactly what she does.  I can gain ideas, but her life isn't my life.

While I was thinking about all of this, I realized that I shouldn't just identify myself as a wife.  My true identity should be found in Christ.  First and foremost, I should be identified as a follower of Christ and learning what that means in my life.  I want to be known as His child before I'm known for anything else.  I do think that if I strive to be like Him, everything else will fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment