Monday, November 21, 2011

Most wonderful time of the year?

To most people, the holidays are a time of fun and excitement.  Everyone tries to get together as a family and spend time together.  It is also one of the most difficult times of the year for some people.   Last year I was grateful for the trip to Europe that allowed for the Thanksgiving holiday to pass somewhat unnoticed.  Christmas was better last year than the first year, but it still was difficult.  It was hard to not be with my family, although my Texas family is a great substitute.  It is difficult when you miss someone at the holidays, I know.  My mom states it well, she calls it "calendar grief".  In dealing with grief, the every day reality is that someone is gone, but on special days/times of the year, that grief will manifest itself.  Because of the unpredictably of grief, it has been hard for me to have any excitement at all for the holidays.  I have had more of an attitude of, "let's get them over with".  I am so happy that this year, I'm actually looking forward to them. In our family, we pull out the Christmas music on November 1st.  We think that you need lots of time to listen to all the wonderful music!  I actually pulled it out on that day and was so excited to do that!  I bought Christmas tree decorations yesterday (half off at Hobby Lobby).  We'll see how decorating a tree goes, I haven't decorated one since before I was engaged, but I'm looking forward to it.  I'm curious to see how these holidays go, but I'm thinking that God has healed my heart enough that I can enjoy them! 

Other random things going on in my life.......

God has once again shown me His faithfulness and how He takes care of me.  I think I am finally finished with settling Jared's estate.  One last bill that was outstanding was finally taken care of a couple of weeks ago and now everything is done.  When I received that information, I began to cry.   I'm just going to tell y'all why and give God glory for this.  Jared did not much life insurance to speak of and most went to the funeral expenses.  There wasn't much money left to pay the outstanding medical bills, which totaled over $75,000.  Here's the amazing part, all of those bills have been written off by each medical facility.........yeah, has it sunk in yet?!  If you ever doubt that God isn't watching out for you, please remember this story.  He cares for the birds and He will also care for you.  My verse on my desk calendar today is "O LORD, You are my God; I will exalt You, I will give thanks to Your name; For You have worked wonders, plans formed long ago, with perfect faithfulness."  Isaiah 25:1  Isn't that fitting! 

I've been dehydrating apples this year.  My garden pretty much failed this year, so I wasn't able to do any canning, so this is as close as I've been able to get to storing stuff for the winter.  Tried sweet potatoes, but I think they need to be sliced thinner, they were kinda chewy. 

Working on a needlepoint stocking for my sis-in-law.  I had no idea how time consuming needlepoint is.  I have enjoyed doing it though, I'm almost done but I need to get it done soon!!  Good thing my weekends have been free for the last month, this would have been simpler if I hadn't procrastinated. :)

That's pretty much what's been happening with me.  I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and focus on the blessings that God has brought into your life.  I know that's what I'll be doing, along with making rolls, pies, and chocolate covered pretzels!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment