Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Good Friday

We had a Good Friday service at church.  I loved it!  There was Scripture read, hymns sung and then communion.  One of the hymns that we sang was "The Old Rugged Cross".

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
the emblem of suffering and shame;
and I love that old cross where the dearest and best
for a world of lost sinners was slain.


Chorus:
So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
'til my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
and exchange it some day for a crown.


In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
a wondrous beauty I see,
for 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
to pardon and sanctify me.


To that old rugged cross I will ever be true,
its shame and reproach gladly bear;
then He'll call me some day to my home far away, 
where His glory forever I'll share.


There are times when it hits me how much Jesus did for me on the cross.  This was one of those times.  The chorus made me want to cry, but I didn't.

Without the cross, we would be lost in our sin.

Without the cross, we would have no hope.

Without the cross, we would never experience His love for us.

Without the cross, we would be separated from Him forever.

Those are some scary thoughts! I couldn't help but think as I sang that chorus, how grateful I am for the cross.  It means so much to know that I can cling to the cross until He calls me home.  Because of the cross, I will be able to spend eternity at His feet, worshiping my Creator!

No comments:

Post a Comment