Monday, February 2, 2015

On my mind

The subject on my mind lately has been the topic of divorce.  This is because I found out recently about a couple that I know, who are now "separated".  I will admit, I am still upset about it.  This couple had a great story, one that centered around God, the basis of their relationship.  I am just going to get on my soapbox for a minute or two.  To be honest, I'm really sick of hearing about the Christ followers who get divorced.  I don't like divorce in general, but from people who do not know the Lord, it is understandable, they do not know the Lord or His word.  DISCLAIMER! Before I really get myself into trouble, I also understand that there are cases of abuse and other circumstances, but I am not talking about those kinds.  I am talking about two people who are both living (or say they are) for the Lord and for petty reasons like "I just don't want to be married anymore" or "he or she needs to change before we can reconcile" (or in other words, conform to the person that I want them to be), "we've just grown apart", etc.  Do people not take their vows seriously?! I will admit, when I said my vows at my first marriage, I did not truly think about what I was saying.  I got to put those vows into practice quickly, in sickness and health, until death do us part.  When I said my vows the second time, I knew what I was saying, it was much more of a solemn time for me.   Having a better understanding the second time did not change what I said the first time, they were still vows, promises that I made before God.

In my Bible reading this morning I read the following verses:

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. Colossians 2:8-10

Christ followers have been taken captive by this "empty deceit" that divorce is fine. What they are forgetting is that they have been filled with Christ and that should make them different.  Striving to uphold the Word of God in all that they do.  Marriage will never be perfect because two sinners are involved, but if both of those sinner's eyes are focused on the Lord and not their own selfish desires, it is a whole lot easier.

Thanks for letting me vent for a moment.  Hopefully I have not offended people too badly!

No comments:

Post a Comment