Monday, January 21, 2013

Prayer

Prayer is something that I've always kinda struggled with.  I'm good that the little prayers throughout the day when I think of something or have to confess my sins, but I'm not good at sitting down and consistently praying.  I have a great example of that in my husband, who prays all the time.  Maybe he's rubbing off on me, but lately I find myself praying a lot more and seeking His will.  Today,  I was reading in 1 Samuel, chapter 2 about Hannah's prayer about God and all that He does for us.  I love her prayer and the prayer of Mary in the New testament, God used women in mightily in the Bible.  One of the verses that stuck out to me today was verse 2, "There is none holy like the Lord, there is none besides you, there is no rock like our God." I've had some things weighing on my mind, especially this past week.  It must seem like I always I'm burdened, but it isn't always the case, I just like to keep track of the things that God lays on my heart.  That verse reminded me about prayer, He alone is my rock, I can take anything to Him in prayer.  God laid on my heart last week to email someone who needed some encouragement.  After praying about it, I did write, I don't know if it helped, but I didn't want to ignore Him either.  About a month ago, He put something else on my mind to pray for and He keeps bringing it to my mind, so I must continue in that also.  I've also been thinking a lot about something else, I'm just not sure if it is something that I want to do, or something that He is calling me to do.  'Tis a dilemma, but I will continue to seek the Lord and listen for the answer.  The other verse that struck a cord was the first half of verse 9, "He will guard the feet of his faithful ones...."  How amazing is that?!  I know that I'm not always faithful to Him, in fact I fail miserably sometimes, but He will still guard my feet because I am His child.  If I pray, seeking His will and the path that He wants me to go, He will guard my steps, He will lead me.  Prayer is so important in our walk with Christ.  I pray that I learn to pray more consistently, also trusting Him whether I like the answer He gives or not! :)

The old hymns say it best!

What a Friend we have in Jesus,
all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden,
cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge,
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you;
you will find a solace there.

Words by Joseph Scriven

1 comment: